Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Music

Have you ever been driving and a song comes on the radio that suddenly transports you to a different time and place? This afternoon on the way to an appointment I heard a Bob Seger song, suddenly I'm a teenager on a warm summers night, the nostalgia is so strong you'd swear you could touch that time again.
When I hear certain Jackson Brown songs, anything by Dan Fogelberg, and "Desperado" by the Eagles, it reminds me of someone I love but can't be with.
When I hear the song "Footloose", I must dance. When I hear "We will rock you", I must clap and sign along.
When I hear Lee Greenwood sing "I'm proud to be an American", I AM proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free...
"Christmas Shoes" will make me cry no matter how many times I hear it.
In Church when we sing "I stand all Amazed", or when the primary and the teachers do "A child's prayer" I think my heart will explode with this feeling of truth, understanding, and gratefulness.
And when I hear "Jesus take the Wheel", I'm reminded where to look for guidance when I just can't do it all myself.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Ah, Dan Fogelberg, that name just reminded me of my dad. Isn't music an awesome medium for painting pictures and memories? Some pleasant and some not so pleasant but still powerful. Every time I hear Enya I think about a drive I made from Utah to CA on the I-80 at night with a full moon on the salt flats.

Jordan and Elaine's Family said...

One of my favorite times in life was the summer after my sophomore year in high school, and every time I hear a song from that summer, I feel very nostalgic.