Sunday, February 15, 2009

Ian's first dance

This was such a positive experience for Ian and for me I just have to share. I've been trying to get Ian to go to a stake dance (with church) for almost a year now, he always says no and I can't dance. The other young men at church have tried to tell him how much fun it is, but he just didn't want anything to do with it. Last Wednesday after scouts the young men and young women (you know what a smile from a girl can do) convinced him he should go.

Saturday afternoon came around and I think nerves got the best of him and once again I'm hearing "I don't want to go". We had a mom to son talk, I told him I understood he was nervous and how everything is scary until you give it a try. I suggested he watch others fast dance and just copy what they did until he figures out his own style. I showed him how beginners slow danced-this was particularly funny because he had to look out the window first to make sure no one would see. I also through out the option of not dancing just "hanging out".

Still not clearly convinced he wanted to be there I took him over to the stake center. I asked him if he wanted me to go in with him, he said "no I can do it". I was so proud of him, I knew he was nervous and neither of us knew if anyone he knew was there yet. At 10:00 I went to pick him up. He was so happy! He talked all the way home (the endless talking he did get from me). He had such a good time, he danced with three girls, he couldn't wait until the next dance. I thought my heart would burst. I am so thankful that he had such a good time and that I was the one to pick him up AND that he shared his feelings with me.

2 comments:

Becky said...

That was very cute. Dances can be quite scary and when I think back at how we danced I can't believe we weren't all laughing our heads off at each other, really, we looked like complete dopes. But I don't think you see that until your at least 30. From a teenager's point of view it's just great music and fun.

Jordan and Elaine's Family said...

That's great! I'm glad that he went, and ending up having such a good time. :)